As expected, the Stanley Cup finals topped the Canadian Top-30 TV ratings the week of June 28 – July 4 — in both English and French Canada.
The average minute audience of the three games played Monday, Wednesday and Friday of that week between the Montreal Canadiens and the Tampa Bay Lightning on CBC (1,811,000 viewers), Sportsnet National (1,427,000) and TVA Sports (1,428,000) totalled close to 4.7 million viewers across Canada.
625,000 of that total watched on Sportsnet Ontario alone, good enough for 15th spot on the Numeris Top 30. In addition, Hockey Central placed 12th with 692,000 CBC viewers and 20th with Sportsnet 585,000 viewers for a combined 1,210,000 hockey fans.
TSN got into the action with a 10th place finish thanks to a Euro 2020 match, which drew 738,000 on Friday, July 2nd. Soccer also took the 18th (596,000) and 19th (594,000) spots on the list for games viewed on TSN+. Even the Toronto Blue Jays cracked the list, with an average of 546,000 watching four games that week carried on Sportsnet National, good enough for 25th spot.
Here, according to Numeris, are the Top 10 totals in English Canada among viewers 2+:
- Stanley Cup Finales (CBC) MWF 1,811,000
- Stanley Cup Finals (Sportsnet National) MWF 1,427,000
- CTV Evening News (CTV) MTWTF 1,390,000
- America’s Got Talent (Citytv) Tues 1,220,000
- CTV Evening News Weekend (CTV) SS 1,005,000
- CTV National News (CTV) MTWTFSS 1,004,000
- Masterchef (CTV) W 829,000
- Island of Bryan (HGTV) Sun 767,000
- CTV Late News (CTV) MTWTFSS 742,000
- Soccer: EURO 2020 Medal Round (TSN) Fri 738,000
Worth noting as well is the fact that a third of the Top-30 shows that week were newscasts. Six were on CTV and four (including No. 14, Global National with 625,000 Monday-to-Friday viewers) were on Global.
Also, only one scripted TV series made the list of Top 30 shows: Why Women Kill on W Network (No. 23 with 560,000 viewers). Even reality shows, such as The Bachelorette (504,000 and in 28th spot on Citytv) were well down the list.